Saturday 9 November 2019

THREE ENGLISH RHYMES



Kinder garden is a childhood phase about which we may not remember many things, but when it comes to the point of rhymes, we with much joy and gaiety, happy to recollect and remember those beautiful lines which we learned with whole lot of classmates doing some naughty works alongside this.

Twinkle Twinkle little star
 How I wonder what you are
Up above the world so high
Like a diamond in the sky

These four lines are the first one that I learnt as a rhyme. After completing my post- graduation,  one day I thought to know more about this and great to read about it in this link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twinkle,_Twinkle,_Little_Star

 hickory dickory dock
the mouse ran up the clock
the clock struck one
the mouse ran down
hickory dickory  dock

This rhyme I repeated many a times at home, as there were many rats in our house. I waited standing before the clock to see whether the rat climb up to the clock? It never happened. ours was a simple wall clock. The rats ran through- out the house, biting gunny bags and plastic containers, but never reached the clock point…………. The spelling of hickory and dickory  was not known to me till my high school. The link below provides a whole set of information about this rhyme. 



One two buckle my shoe
Three four shut the door
Five six pickup sticks
Seven eight lay them straight
Nine ten a big fat hen


This was the other rhyme which I loved repeating often, as this carried numbers and easy for me to learn. I felt hard to recite long rhymes and big words in those days. Even for these rhymes the link provided above shows more stanzas available in the rhyme. But we were thought just one stanza in schools. I’m really thankful for my teachers for not teaching all those stanzas, otherwise I would have not learnt at least this much.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

ONE GOOD NEIGHBOR

        ONE GOOD NEIGHBOR He came night after night. I don’t know how long he favoured me in such an appreciative manner, but I was most p...