PAPAYA fruit is quite well known to every one and papaya tree is found in almost every household of south Indian villages. Papaya, when fully ripe is soft and orange in colour. It is usually eaten raw after removing the skin and seeds. The unripe papaya is green in colour and used in various dishes.
Papaya jam and papaya jelly is also prepared due to its pectin content. Papaya is rich in vitamin C and its antioxidant qualities provides many health benefits if consumed regularly. Papaya is avoided during pregnancy.
A few points of good health from pulpy papaya are:
· * Papaya aids in digestion
· * Papaya prevents infections
· * Improves heart health
· * Helps reduce weight.
To store papaya for longer time and to have papaya during meals, PAPAYA -CHUTNEY is prepared in a traditional way. Let’s see how it is done………….
1. Select plant ripened papaya
2. Wash it in cold water
3. Peel and cut the papaya into small pieces after discarding the seeds.
4. Cut onions finely and chop garlic
5. Mix papaya with onions and garlic, add sugar, red chillies powder, salt and vinegar
6. Boil gently till the chutney becomes thick.
7. Then allow the chutney to cool and transfer it into air tight container or bottles
8. Use wide mouthed bottles or jars to store the chutney.