1. Soak lentil and rice separately
2. Shell peas, peel potatoes, slice onions
3. Heat fat. Brown half onions, remove and keep aside
4. Brown remaining onions, lentils, sugar, turmeric, chilli powder, cumin, cardamon &cloves.
5. Add rice and vegetables and fry till rice begins to stick
6. Cover with hot water to about 2.5cm above the levels of solids. Add salt. Cook on a slow fire . Keep live coal on lid.
7. When rice, vegetables and lentils are cooked and when all moisture is absorbed, remove. Serve hot. garnish with browned onions.