Friday 4 March 2022

A POEM THAT INITIATES TO WRITE





More pungent in his wit, and neat and fluent as a verse writer , is JOHN HOOKHAM FRERE (1769-1846), who took part with Canning in founding the Anti-Jacobin.  His poem  THE BOY AND THE PARROT was written to teach manners to his nephew.

"Parrot, if I had your wings

I should do so many things:

The first thing I should like to do

If I had little wings like you,

I should fly to Uncle Bartle,

Don't you think "t would make him startle,

If he saw me when I came,

Flapping at the window frame

Exactly like the parrot of fame?"

All this the wise old parrot heard.

The parrot was an ancient bird,

And paused and ponder'd every word,

First, therefore, he began to cough,

Then said,- "It is a great way off,

A great way off, my dear :" and then

He paused awhile-and coughed again: -

"Master John, pray think a little,

What would you do for beds and victual?''

"Oh! parrot, Uncle John can tell -

But we should manage very well:

At night we'd perch upon the trees,

And so fly forward by degrees."

"Does Uncle John," the parrot said,

"Put nonsense in his nephew's head?

Instead of telling you such things,

And teaching you to wish for wings,

I think he might have taught you better,

You might have learnt to write a letter: -

That is the thing that I should do

if I had little hands like you."



This is one of my favourite poems , as it is highly motivating and encourages writing. For children also this can be easily taught and being a fable it grabs their attention instantly.

(PROMPT: YOUR FAVOURITE POEM)

No comments:

Post a Comment

VILLAGE ON THE RHONE

  VILLAGE ON THE RHONE Beside the placid waters of the Rhone A classical village rises to meet the sky, The magnificent steeple an inv...