Wednesday 10 April 2024

I‘ve NEVER BEEN TO AFRICA

  


  

I‘ve NEVER BEEN TO AFRICA

 

I've lived where orange blossoms fall

and flutter on the streets of Spain.

In Germany I've seen the wall,

and snow-capped mountains from the train.

I've known Bahamas' sunlight gleam

where palm trees shift in sultry air,

but Africa, exotic dream—

imagination takes me there.

 

I see the restless plains that stretch

to meet the blue, forever sky,

alive with teeming herds that sketch

a savage scene in my mind's eye.

I picture people, tall and proud,

whose ancestors have braved this land,

and tamed a wilderness, unbowed

by flooding, droughts, and burning sand.

 

And in this dream, white jasmine sends

a honeyed scent that hangs and bathes

the senses where the blue grass bends

to spice the air in pungent swathes.

At sunset, coral streamers drape

across horizon's purple bars,

and nighttime spreads its velvet cape,

bejeweled with half a billion stars.

 

I live in North America—

so cool and tame everything seems!

I've never been to Africa,

but I have seen it in my dreams.

 

 This poem was written by Katharine L. Sparrow

 

A strong desire to travel is called wanderlust. If you dream of backpacking through Europe and then taking a quick spin through southeast Asia, you have wanderlust. The Germans call the strong urge for travel wanderlust, literally a desire for wandering.

 For some people, the desire to travel is fueled by a need for novelty and adventure. They crave new experiences and seek out destinations that offer something different from their everyday lives. This could be anything from trying new foods, meeting new people, or exploring unfamiliar landscapes.

 Travel takes us out of our comfort zones and inspires us to see, taste and try new things. It constantly challenges us, not only to adapt to and explore new surroundings, but also to engage with different people, to embrace adventures as they come and to share new and meaningful experiences with friends and loved ones.

 

What are your travel trips? Which place do you wish to explore? Do share it in the comments.



 I'm participating in #BlogchatterA2Z and hyperlink https://www.theblogchatter.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment

WHY SYNTHESIS IS ESSENTIAL IN DECISION MAKING?

   Decision-making requires an individual to "take a view" and that depends on the ability to combine parts or elements to form a ...