Thursday 11 April 2024

JUST BE KIND

 



 

JUST BE KIND

 

Your face is not familiar

 but please. just be kind.

 I know that I should know you

 but there's a problem with my mind.

 

 I see the photos you brought me.

pictures of me and you

 and so I believe you when you say

 you're someone that I knew.

 

 But those are pictures, not memories.

 You're still a stranger to me.

 I have these memory lapses.

 I wish that you could see.

 

I would love to hug and greet you

 like the old friend you must be.

 When I see the hope in your eyes,

 it really saddens me.

 

 My world gets smaller every day

 as less and less remains.

 Please don't look so sad.

 I didn't mean to cause you pain.

 

 I love the photos that you brought,

I love the stories you tell.

 But my memories have all but gone

and I'm in this living hell.

 

 Your face is not familiar

so please, just be kind.

I know that I should know you

 but there's a problem with my mind.

 

This poem was written by Francine Roberts

 

 

Memories give our lives purpose and joy, and they continue to benefit us long after they have happened, adding to our overall well-being and resiliency. They provide unending joy; they are a gift. Positive memories are actively recalled, and people who do so enjoy life more.

They strengthen our sense of identity and purpose and bond our relationships. Happy memories are an important ingredient in present happiness. When we are young, everything is new. We are doing so many things for the first time that we form very strong memories.

But sadly many develop memory loss at a later stage of life. Memory loss is unusual forgetfulness. You may not be able to remember new events, recall one or more memories of the past, or both. The memory loss may be for a short time and then resolve (transient).

People who experience memory loss may no longer be able to participate in their hobbies or keep up with their favorite sports team, leading to withdrawal from social interaction, per a March 2021 review published in the journal Alzheimer's & Dementia.

 

Definitely we need to be kind with them.


 I'm participating in #BlogchatterA2Z and hyperlink https://www.theblogchatter.com)



4 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful and poignant poem. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This feels like deja vu. I attended a class on NLP yesterday and they talked about the brain and how to keep it healthy. Of course, for people in advanced stages of memory loss, kindness is the only answer. the brain is an unfathomable organ, friend and foe at the same time.

    ReplyDelete

WHY SYNTHESIS IS ESSENTIAL IN DECISION MAKING?

   Decision-making requires an individual to "take a view" and that depends on the ability to combine parts or elements to form a ...