1. Wash Brinjals, breaking the stem. Cut them length wise in quarters.
2. Heat oil and fry brinjals till the skin gets a brownish colour. Remove and keep aside.
3. In the same oil fry the coriander seeds, red chillies and onions. Grind fried spices with coconut and garlic.
4. Roast gingelly seeds separately and powder
5. Soak tamarind and extract pulp
6. Add to ground spices
7. To the remaining oil add chopped green chillies and turmeric and the tamarind mixture. Fry masala well
8. Add brinjals and gingelly powder. Cover and cook till gravy thickens.
9. Add jaggery and salt.
10. When gravy is quite thick remove from fire
11. Then, in another pan heat fat. Add mustard seeds and curry leaves.
12. When mustard seeds crackle. pour over the curry. Mix well and serve.