Saturday, 3 October 2026

THE GRACE OF KEHWA

    



 

The earliest memory I have of pain is from when I was around six or seven years old.  I was quite unwell with what was probably a really nasty case of tonsillitis.  What I remember most about the pain is how it felt like someone had poured shards of glass into my throat and even the slightest of movements led to the most excruciating pain. Even now, four decades later, whenever I am down with a cold and a sore throat, I often, instinctively compare the pain I have to the pain I had during that particular episode. I was probably laid up in bed for a week at most but for a six year old for whom movement is life, it felt like an eternity.  Even though I remember the distress that had taken hold of me, there was also relief.  Every hour or so she would bring a small cup filled with a translucent, golden amber coloured liquid.  Even before she had walked in, I knew it was kehwa – a drink made by boiling cinnamon and cardamom until it turns a beautiful golden colour and it is sweetened with sugar or honey. As the mixture bubbled away on the stove,  the scent of cardamoms and cinnamon would waft through the entire house.  Kehwa has a very distinctive scent, the most beautiful love child of cardamom and cinnamon.  She would bring a small cup of kehwa and spoon the mixture into my mouth.  Sometimes she would add a couple of peppercorns and sometimes a sliver of ginger – both a remedy against colds in particular, and misery in general. As she fed me the soothing mixture, she would often tell me the story of how kehwa came into existence. 

Many, many centuries ago, before time was something you could trap into a clock, there was a land where all living beings existed peacefully. In this world there was a gentle forest where all manner of things grew and in the heart of this gentle forest beneath the shade of a beautiful cinnamon tree, a cardamom plant grew.  As it grew, nourished by the gentle forest, it became more and more aware of cinnamon, without whose shade it would perish.  He would spend his days looking up and admiring her beautiful ovate leaves and her tiny blood red flowers.  Though they both spent considerable time together, it was cinnamon who plucked up the courage and confessed her love for the tender hearted cardamom.  Cardamom upon hearing cinnamons declaration of love was so overcome with emotion that he spread his roots closer towards hers and over time, their roots became so intertwined that you couldn’t tell one from the other.  They lived together in love for centuries.  One day when time had finally been trapped into clocks, a witch arrived at the forest, looking for herbs and medicinal plants when she noticed the pair.  After investigating thoroughly and taking home some of the fruit that both offered, she decided they were worth taking home and growing on her farm.  She knelt down to try and take each one out with the root still intact, when she discovered they were so intertwined that if she tried to separate them, both would perish.  Now she was a good witch, the kind who knew that you did not split what nature had brought together, so she did what every good witch does, she spoke to them.  She told them of the healing properties each held and asked for guidance.  They told her to come back after sometime. This was something they needed to decide together. For days they conversed until they both agreed upon a solution.

‘You may take us but whenever you use our fruits, they must be used together – that is the only condition we have’, Cinnamon said.

The good witch agreed and assured them that their wish would always be honoured.  They told her to come back in some time.  They bid each other goodbye and made promises that would meet again and again and each time it would be more beautiful than before. 

When the good witch came back and dug up the cardamom plant, she found that he had moved his roots away and they were no longer intertwined with those of cinnamon.  She took them both home and planted them separately.  They took root where they were planted and they bloomed.  The good witch used their fruits and invented concoctions and mixtures which became famous for their healing properties.  One of those concoctions was kehwa.  It cured colds, upset stomachs, agitated minds and broken hearts. Her fame grew and people from all parts of the world travelled to be healed by her mixtures.  The recipes travelled but in every recipe she kept her promise.  Every mixture she made, she kept them together.  That was how it came to be that you used both together.  It became a sacred covenant between the lovers and the healer and even today it endures. 

‘So you see’, my mother would say, spooning the last bit of kehwa into my mouth, ‘it is not just a healing mixture you drink, it is a testament love between cardamom and cinnamon’.

It is story I have loved the most, of all the stories I have heard as a child and as I grew different parts of this story stood out at different times in my life.  As a child I loved the idea of talking plants. As a teenager the love story became more relevant and I too would pine for a love like that.  Now, as a woman of a certain age, the healing that comes from faith bring me immense joy and sometimes nowadays when I too spoon some kehwa into the mouths of my little babies, I tell them not just about the love between cinnamon and cardamom but the grace, compassion and healing that has continued ever since.  

  

Bio for the blog - Saba Mahjoor is a freelance writer.  Her column 'A Little Life' is published by The Hindu. She lives in England with her husband, two children and an army of rogue squirrels.



( This is the 4th WEEK -11TH YEAR-GUESTPOST SERIES - POST -4) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

THE GRACE OF KEHWA

       The earliest memory I have of pain is from when I was around six or seven years old.   I was quite unwell with what was probably a ...