Saturday, 15 August 2026

THIS INDEPENDENCE DAY, LET US FREE OURSELVES

   



 15 August. Independence Day.

Today, the whole nation celebrates freedom.

We remember the struggle for independence, the sacrifices made by countless people, and the meaning of being a free nation. We proudly watch the Tricolour being unfurled, listen to patriotic songs and remind ourselves of the value of freedom.

But this Independence Day, I want to pause and ask myself a different question:

Am I really free?

Not as a citizen of a free country, but as an individual.

There are so many things that have quietly become my masters. They don't imprison me behind walls or chains. They occupy my thoughts, my time, my attention and sometimes even my peace of mind.

Perhaps true freedom today is also about freeing ourselves from the small bondages we have created for ourselves.

Here is my personal list.

1. Freedom from overthinking and negative thoughts

I want freedom from the endless conversations that happen inside my own head.

Why did someone say this?
What did they mean?
What if this happens?
What if that doesn't happen?

Overthinking rarely changes the past or controls the future. It only steals the present.

I want to free myself from unnecessary negative thoughts and make more room for calmness, gratitude and constructive thinking.

2. Freedom from checking other people's WhatsApp statuses

How many times do we open WhatsApp without actually having a message to read?

We check the statuses.

Someone has travelled. Someone has cooked something wonderful. Someone has bought something new. Someone has shared a quote. Someone has posted a photograph.

And then we move on to the next one.

Why do I need to know all this?

I want to be free from this unnecessary curiosity.

3. Freedom from opening every YouTube link shared by others

A link arrives.

"Please watch this."

"Very interesting."

"You must see this!"

And there I go.

One video becomes another, and suddenly precious minutes—or even an hour—have disappeared.

Not every link needs my attention.

I want to learn to say, "Not now."

That is also freedom.

4. Freedom from checking Instagram repeatedly

Instagram can be entertaining, informative and inspiring. But there is a difference between using a platform and being pulled into it repeatedly.

I don't want to open Instagram simply because I have a spare minute.

I want those spare minutes back.

Perhaps they can become reading minutes, thinking minutes, walking minutes—or simply quiet minutes.

5. Freedom from the temptation of challenges and giveaways

This one is particularly close to me.

As someone who loves books, the attraction is obvious.

A challenge.
A giveaway.
A chance to win a book.
A beautiful new title offered as a gift.

The excitement of receiving a book is wonderful. But sometimes the desire to receive makes us participate in things we don't actually need to participate in.

Do I really want to do this—or do I simply want the book?

That is a question worth asking.

I want to enjoy books without becoming a slave to the expectation of receiving them.

6. Freedom from gadgets after sunset

This is perhaps the biggest challenge on my list.

I want to bring back a little more of the old rhythm of the day.

My personal targets:

  • Laptop — stop by 4:30 p.m.
  • Phone — stop by 5 p.m.
  • Television — stop by 6 p.m.

It may not always be possible. But I want to make it a conscious effort.

The evening should not disappear behind screens.

There must be time for conversation, reading, looking out of the window, preparing dinner, listening to music, or simply doing nothing.

A gadget is a useful servant. It becomes a problem when it becomes the master.

7. Freedom from routines that leave no time for nature

Routines are necessary. They give our days structure.

But sometimes we become so committed to completing our routines that we forget to live outside them.

I want to free some time for a nature walk.

To walk without an agenda.

To notice the sky.

To look at trees.

To feel the breeze.

To watch birds.

To simply walk and be present.

Perhaps a few minutes spent with nature can give us something that several hours online cannot.

8. Freedom from the place that disturbs my peace

This is the most difficult one.

Sometimes it is not a gadget, an app or a habit that disturbs us.

Sometimes it is a place.

A place that makes us uncomfortable. A place that repeatedly disturbs our peace. A place from which we carry unpleasant thoughts even after we leave.

But perhaps freedom does not always mean physically escaping from that place.

Sometimes freedom means telling ourselves:

"This place does not have the power to disturb my inner peace."

I may not be able to change the place.

I may not be able to change the people around me.

But I can work towards changing my response.

That, perhaps, is the hardest freedom of all.

 

Our own little prisons

We often think of freedom as something outside us.

But there are invisible chains too.

The phone we check repeatedly.
The notifications we cannot ignore.
The thoughts we cannot stop.
The comparisons we make.
The expectations we carry.
The fear of missing out.
The desire for appreciation.
The need to know what everyone else is doing.

Slowly, without realising it, we become slaves to things that were created to make our lives easier or more enjoyable.

Technology was meant to save time.

Social media was meant to connect us.

Challenges were meant to be fun.

Giveaways were meant to be generous.

But when these begin controlling our time and attention, we need to pause.

Perhaps Independence Day is a good reminder to ask:

What am I still a slave to?

And then make our own little declaration of independence.

Not a dramatic one.

Not one that requires a revolution.

Just small decisions.

I will not check that status.

I don't have to open that link.

I can keep the phone aside.

I can switch off the television.

I can close the laptop.

I can ignore a giveaway.

I can stop overthinking.

I can go for a walk.

I can protect my peace.

Because freedom is not merely the absence of external control. It is also the ability to choose what deserves our time, attention and energy.

This Independence Day, while our nation celebrates the freedom we inherited through sacrifice, let us also work towards the freedom we have to create for ourselves.

Maybe the most meaningful flag we can unfurl today is not only outside our homes.

Maybe we can unfurl a little flag of freedom within ourselves.

Happy Independence Day!

This year, my resolution is simple: I don't want to be free only as a citizen. I want to be free as a person, too.




And what about you?

This Independence Day, what would you like to free yourself from?

Is it overthinking, excessive phone use, social media, unnecessary expectations, comparison, a habit, or something else that quietly controls your time and peace?

What is your own personal declaration of independence?   Do share it in the comments


No comments:

Post a Comment

THIS INDEPENDENCE DAY, LET US FREE OURSELVES

      15 August. Independence Day. Today, the whole nation celebrates freedom. We remember the struggle for independence, the sacrifices mad...