Tuesday, 4 August 2026

Reading How I Write: My Kindergarten Journey into the World of Writers

   


 

Some books are read. Some books are experienced. And then there are books that quietly transform the way we look at reading itself.

How I Write, edited by Sonia Faleiro, belongs to the third category for me.

This is not a book review. It is simply my reading journey—how I approached the book, how it challenged me, and how it changed the way I think about reading.

The book was a New Year 2026 gift from my father. I began reading it in January with great enthusiasm and finally completed it on 3rd August 2026. It took me over seven months—not because the book was difficult in the usual sense, but because life happened. Other books demanded attention, daily responsibilities came in between, and there were several long and short breaks. Yet, I never abandoned it. I always knew I would return and complete it.

My First Reaction

Before receiving the book, I had heard about its title and knew a little about its contents. But when I finally held it in my hands, I had an amusing flashback.

It reminded me of my college days.

Do you remember looking at your seniors' thick textbooks and wondering, "How can anyone read such a huge book?" We would ask the funniest questions:

"Do we really have to finish this in one year?"

"Won't it become boring?"

"How do people even remember all this?"

Standing with How I Write in my hands, I had exactly the same feeling.

I laughed at myself.

I realised there was still a child inside me who was intimidated by "serious books." At the same time, I felt a quiet determination grow within me. If I wanted to become a better reader and writer, I needed to grow beyond that fear.

Before Reading the First Page...



Instead of jumping straight into the interviews, I decided to prepare myself.

I made a handwritten list of every contributor in the book.

For each person, I noted:

whether they were the interviewer or interviewee,

their gender,

their nationality,

and the genre they write in or their profession.

I did this with great sincerity.

While making the list, I made another discovery.

I knew only a handful of the names.

Most of the writers were completely new to me.

And that was perfectly alright.

Rather than feeling discouraged, I became curious.

Reading Required Complete Attention

This is not a book you can casually skim through while your mind is elsewhere.

Every interview demands attention.

First, understand the question.

Then, carefully absorb the answer.

Often, a single question opens many doors, encouraging the writer to reveal their habits, struggles, opinions, and creative process.

I found myself admiring not only the writers but also the interviewers.

The interviews are crafted so thoughtfully that one question often unfolds into multiple layers of insight. Framing questions in such a way is an art in itself.

A Completely New Reading Experience

This was my first experience reading an entire book built around interviews and conversations.

Many times, I felt like a kindergarten child.

You know that posture?

Hands folded together, chin resting on them, eyes wide open in wonder.

That was me.

Every few pages, I would pause—not because I was tired, but because I was amazed by the conversation unfolding before me.

Thirty-One Brilliant Minds

The book brings together around 31 people—interviewers and interviewees—each established in their own field.

Some belong to similar literary traditions.

Many are completely different from one another.

Each has their own writing process, philosophy, discipline, and way of looking at the world.

Even after completing the book, I must honestly admit something.

Many of these writers are still new to me.

And I think that is perfectly fine.

Reading this book has not made me an expert.

Instead, it has made me a student.

What Next?

I have already decided that this will not be my only reading of How I Write.

The second reading will be slower.

This time, I won't read with the urge to "finish" the book.

I want to sit with every conversation.

Think about every answer.

Reflect more deeply.

I also have another plan.

As I reread the book, I want to explore the works of the featured writers alongside their interviews.

Reading their books after learning how they think and write will probably help me understand their writing style, themes, and literary voice much better. Their works may become little clues that help me remember each writer more meaningfully.

I Am Still in Kindergarten

If you have already read How I Write, I would genuinely love to hear from you.

Please remember—I still consider myself a kindergarten student in this journey.

So if you have suggestions, reading tips, or ways to approach this remarkable collection more effectively, please share them.

Simple suggestions are most welcome.

Sometimes, the best way to enter a library full of great minds is not by pretending to know everything, but by happily admitting that we have only just begun.

And that is exactly where I am.

Still learning.

Still wondering.

Still reading.

One interview at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SONG FOR A LITTLE HOUSE BY CHRISTOPHER MORLEY

   I’M GLAD our house is a little house,  Not too tall nor too wide; I’m glad the hovering butterflies Feel free to come inside.   Our...