Monday 13 February 2023

GEORGE HERBERT 'S POEM - LOVE

 





On the 13 th day of the Blog chatter’s #WRITEAPAGEADAY, Here is a poem with love as the major theme.

 

Poet: George Herbert  

Poem:  Love

 

Love bade me welcome. Yet my soul drew back

                              Guilty of dust and sin.

  But quick-eyed Love, observing me grow slack

                             From my first entrance in,

  Drew nearer to me, sweetly questioning,

                             If I lacked any thing.

 

   A guest, I answered, worthy to be here:

                             Love said, You shall be he.

I  I the unkind, ungrateful? Ah my dear,

                             I cannot look on thee.

  Love took my hand, and smiling did reply,

                             Who made the eyes but I?

    

T   Truth Lord, but I have marred them: let my shame

                             Go where it doth deserve.

   And know you not, says Love, who bore the blame?

                             My dear, then I will serve.

   You must sit down, says Love, and taste my meat:

                             So I did sit and eat.

George Herbert was educated at west minster school and Trinity college, Cambridge, where he was a

public orator from 1619-27. Herbert’s chief claim upon us lies in his volume “The Temple”, which has

always held the popular imagination. O all the school of Donne he is the most widely read, by reason

of his clearness of presentment and his happy knack for using conceits sufficiently obvious to most

people. His treatment of religious themes has the simple, unstudied earnestness of Longfellow.

Along with his delicate didactic vein, he shows a quaintness and daintiness characteristic of the time.

The discerning reader will note also a welcome salt of humour in his work that preserved him from

the extravagance into which so many of his contemporaries fell. His earlier work was bright and

witty.  Later on, his art served as handmaid to his piety. He is remembered as a pivotal figure:

enormously popular, deeply and broadly influential, and arguably the most skillful and important

British devotional lyricist of his or any other time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

AN ANCIENT TEMPLE WHERE UTANKA MUNI WORSHIPPED

     The Divya kshetram TIRU VAIKUNTA VINNAGARAM is located in Tirunangur 8 km from Sirkazhi in Tamil Nadu. This is one of the 11 Divya desa...