World Glaucoma Awareness week is being observed from March 6-12. Glaucoma is the silent thief of sight and it is necessary to be aware of it to avoid loss of vision or irreversible blindness. It is a hereditary disease, if you are a glaucoma patient, family screening is an absolute need. Prevention and early detection and treatment can preserve sight. Family members has 7-8 times increased risk of developing glaucoma
What causes Glaucoma?
* If the formation of drainage of aqueous humor in the eye is disturbed it leads to reduced out flow
* Reduced out flow of the aqueous humor increases the intraocular pressure -IOP
* Increased IOP may lead to optic nerve damage and progressive blindness.
Types of Glaucoma :
* Open angle glaucoma usually has no noticeable symptoms and the patients may be unaware of his glaucoma. open angle glaucoma is the most common form of glaucoma
*Acute angle or closure glaucoma has sudden onset and can cause the following symptoms :
1. High intraocular pressure
3. redness of the eye
4. fatigue of organs of vision
5. the appearance of a bright rainbow rim around any light sources and other objects
6. pain in the eyes and the eyebrows
8. blurred vision
Acute angle or closure glaucoma is common in Asia but less common in the western world. stages of glaucoma can be detected with field test.
Using the prescribed eye drops will help to maintain the vision and loss of vision also be prevented. If it is in advanced stage , the loss of vision can be postponed though it can't be prevented at times.
To keep Glaucoma at Bay:
1. Don't smoke
2. Control your blood pressure and monitor other medical conditions and have regular medication
3. Exercise daily
4. Have regular eye check up
5. Maintain a healthy weight