Wednesday 17 April 2024

ONE GOOD NEIGHBOR

       


ONE GOOD NEIGHBOR

He came night after night. I don’t know how long he favoured me in such an appreciative manner, but I was most pleased when I realised it.

We had moved back into a property that had been rented out for nearly fifteen years. The clean-up was one tough job because the backyard was filled with more than a few of this, that or the other that had to be trashed. So, when my neighbourly friend was spotted patrolling my yard one night, I was more than elated and grateful to see him.

He took the same route each night, and we did make eye contact. But I purposely refused to formally meet him, because I did not want to become close to him. So, I never bothered to offer him food or drink.

For reasons I will never know, he ceased to make his rounds. During the tenure of that treasured neighbour, the rodents disappeared. But I’m disappointed with myself for keeping a wall between us. He deserved better.

Sometimes, I feel sad because comparatively, I gave him so little. But I must say that I have always been much appreciative of the kindness he shared with me, I shall never forget the dedication with which the neighbourly cat donated his time and served me so faithfully.

 

This poem was written by Curtis Johnson, Sr.

 

  It can be far more peaceful to live among neighbors that like and respect each other, especially when they're living in close proximity. Respectful neighbors are less likely to invade your space, be loud and rowdy, and make overall daily life stressful.

 To keep a positive relationship, avoid actions that may cause disturbances or inconvenience to your neighbors. Because good neighbors create safer neighborhoods, help each other, enhance emotional well-being, build strong communities, and protect each other's home values. They bring friendship, support, and a sense of belonging.

 Research has shown that creating community with those who live near you creates many positive benefits. Mental clarity, a reduction in depression, and a positive outlook on life are just a few of those perks. No matter where you live, neighbors are a fact of life…and they leave an impact no matter what.

 That’s why it’s always good to remember and bear in mind that: "Good fences make good neighbours". The words of  Robert Frost suggests that having clear boundaries and respecting each other's personal space can lead to better relationships between neighbors.


 I'm participating in #BlogchatterA2Z and hyperlink https://www.theblogchatter.com)


2 comments:

  1. Curtis Johnson, Sr.'s poem underscores the importance of positive neighbourly relationships for a harmonious community. Through the analogy of a faithful cat, it highlights the value of fostering connections with those around us for emotional well-being. This is so much relevant in these days when relationships have become so fragile.

    ReplyDelete

YAKING CO WORKER

    YAKING COWORKER You are on a little roll today I have no idea what he is speaking of   But I know one thing   He is always spe...