Friday 15 November 2019

BOOKS –THE BEST GIFT FOR ALL AGES


                             Image result for image of books               



From my childhood days books form the major part of my gifts and prizes I have won.

My uncle from Delhi used to bring for me the books published by PUSTAK MAHAL.

My dad subscribed Russian children “s magazine MISHA.  Poems, puzzles drawings and colouring and short stories were part of it.

In the Annual day competitions conducted by our school, Dictionaries, sloka books, books on English Grammar, essay writing and quiz were distributed as prizes.

In the college also books and cash prizes were given for toppers in Academics and winners in inter collegiate competitions.

One of my cousin brought me a pocket dictionary which was highly useful for me throughout my college days. It was easy to handle and fits pretty well in the small compartment of my bag.

The first book I brought for myself during school days is THE SCARLET FLOWER

During my Post graduation, my cousin gave her books and helped me to complete my course.

My uncles and aunties handed over their books to me, that includes an old atlas, wren & martin grammar book, Tess of the d’Urbervilles of Thomas hardy, Milton’s Paradise lost,  Two of Rabindranath   Tagore s’ novels FAREWELL, MY FRIEND and THE GARDEN

  Upon request received a copy of the book in 2006 from Government of India, as part of a campaign for promotion of the North East as a tourism destination. “Travellers  companion” (India’s North East- paradise unexplored) is the title of the book.


Pictorial dictionary was a great possession during my schooling. I use to long for it whenever I see any one handling it. In 2012 my husband gifted it to me.

My Father in law gifted his collection of books to me. They were Macbeth, short stories by Bret Harte, the Great rehearsal by Carl Van Doren, A book of English Prose (1700-1914) by Eric Partridge, Essays and Essayists by Henry New bolt.

The books I brought on my own were GREAT WORKS OF MARK TWAIN, LOVE AMONG THE BOOKSHELVES BY RUSKIN BOND,    “”EVERY THING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT FREELANCE JOURNALISM”” BY KAVITHA RAO AND CHARUKESI RAMADURAI.


Goethe Institute Max miller bhavan’s reading marathon fetched me a gift voucher of Rs.1000 redeemable at LANDMARK book stores. I brought about 7 books during a discount sale.

On entering into blogging received 4 hard copies of the book from the publishers and 2 from the authors in return for providing honest reviews.  5 book in the form of PDF.


Books are my best friends. Steady and supportive in all walks of life. Do read and encourage others by gifting books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NEWTON’S LAW

     NEWTON’S LAW   I was inattentive in science class one day When the teacher at random looked my way I didn’t look up, I wouldn’t...