It is well know that the summer season brings with it the scorching heat & sweat. To beat it or to overcome it , cool drinks, ice creams &chilled butter milk, fruit juices are the choices. So, to get this the main requirement is the Refrigerator or fridge.
Cold is the absence of heat and to make things cold it is necessary. This is the function of refrigerator. To raise water to boiling point from tap water temperature heat must be added, add further heat and boiling water turns into water vapour or steam. A substance such as ammonia which boils at 30 degrees, would absorb heat at even lower temperatures. Ammonia is one of a number of liquids called refrigerator which are used to absorb heat from the interior of well insulated containers known as refrigerators.
By using a refrigerant like liquid ammonia, circulating through the pipes in the refrigerated compartment. Heat is taken out of the food and the liquid ammonia boils, becoming a vapour or gas by removing or sucking out this vapour and replacing it with more liquid, the cooling process can be maintained as long as required.
Example of refrigerants- Sulphur Oxide, Methyl Chloride and Dichlorodifluoromethane.
Care and Cleaning of Refrigerators:-
Clean thoroughly inside and out at least every two months as blocked drain lines, drip trays and ducts will eventually lead to break-down.
1. Switch off power,
2. If possible transfer stock to available alternative storage,
3. Clean interior surfaces with lukewarm water and a mild detergent. Do not use abrasives and strongly scented cleaning agents.
4. Clean exteriors and dry all surfaces inside and out.
5. Clean away and dry all surfaces and any external dirt, dust or rubbish which might restrict circulation of air around the condenser.
6. Switch on power. Check, when correct temperature is reached, refill with stock.
7. Check for correct thermostat condition and light inside the fridge. Adjust the thermostat basing on the season and the stock.
8. Make sure the stabilizer is in good working condition to safe guard the fridge from fluctuating power in summer.
9. Check for freezer temperatures with ice trays.
10. Do all these preparations before the actual summer sets-in in May and enjoy cold and chilled items.